Inviting students: best practices
Overcoming issues with first semester eligibility and a second semester ceremony
If you have students who become eligible for BGS during their first semester, you should still invite them to join—even if your ceremony isn’t until May, or if they are graduating early.
- Create your ceremony in the CMS (even if it’s months ahead of time) and invite eligible students to join BGS throughout the year.
- If students are graduating before your ceremony date, they can still begin utilizing BGS’ lifetime membership benefits—like networking opportunities, professional discounts and more.
- Membership certificates will be mailed to your chapter before the ceremony date—if some of these members have already left campus, invite them to come back for the recognition ceremony.
Create virtual ceremonies in the CMS
Your chapter can create multiple ceremonies in the CMS based on when your school’s graduation times are—even if you’re only hosting one physical ceremony per year.
Then, invite all new members who accepted after your last physical ceremony to participate in the next one! The only difference will be that the certificate dates will be different for the members who were invited to those virtual ceremonies.
Invite sophomores—on your own terms
If you have reservations about opening up BGS membership to sophomores at your school, consider these tips from other chapter leaders.
- Implement additional requirements for sophomores to be invited—like completing a minimum of 12 credits within the business school and being in the top 10% of their class at the sophomore level.
- Induct sophomores and assign one or two to special student officer roles, designed to help you promote BGS on campus, host events and assist with the recognition ceremony.